Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Couch Potatoes Guide to Exercise: For the Exercise Bum


            We all know how important exercise is and are reminded of it on a near daily basis. When were in the line at the grocery store and we see five different magazines telling us we need to lose ten pounds, or on TV when we see men and women who are abnormally fit showing off their bodies and even when our doctors weigh us in for our yearly checkups. It feels like you can’t escape it, especially in this health conscious world we live in, despite the fact that nearly everyone around us is in the exact same ‘unhealthy’ boat we’re in.
            We make New Year’s resolutions that fail, have skinny and fat clothes and compare ourselves to others, when in reality we shouldn’t make it a goal to exercise only once a year, but every day, we shouldn’t keep clothes that fit us at all sizes and we shouldn’t be trying to look like that one actress from our favorite movie. We are too busy making excuses and preventing ourselves from being successful.
Being a connoisseur of excuses myself—Oh, the call of TV, a good book or a nap—I devised a plan one day, while watching a show, ahem, to ascertain my favorite excuses and spend a month discovering how to break those down. I exercised five days a week for a month and wrote down what was difficult and how I overcame it and now you get to benefit from my trials.
Excuse # 1 I don’t have enough time to exercise.
This was the perfect excuse to start with, because it is one that I’ve used religiously for the past six years. I would say, “I have work, school, family, etc. and no time to exercise.” In the end I decided to make it a priority for school—I needed material to write an article and from that need something changed. Somehow, magically, I had an hour and half every day that I didn’t have before—a miracle!
Wrong—my day wasn’t miraculously an hour and a half longer, it still had the same 24 hours in it that it always had, the difference being I had made exercise a priority. And not only did I make it a priority, I also planned which days I would be working out, and what time on those days and then when those days and times came along I refused to think about exercising. Instead, I just got ready and did it. It’s surprisingly easy to talk yourself out of doing it, so don’t, just do it.
Excuse # 2 Exercise is Boring/I’m too tired
Exercise can absolutely be boring if you’re doing something you don’t like AND if you don’t like it and happen to be tired then you might as well kiss you exercise goals goodbye. Having a program you love is vital to killing these excuses. Schedule a month where you try two or three different kinds of exercises a week and give each different exercise your all. The more exercises you try the more likely you are to find something you’ll love and if you love it, it’ll be so much easier to follow through.
It’s also incredibly helpful to get friends involved. Friends can offer emotional support and help can help keep you motivated. I wasn’t able to find friends that were available to exercise at the same time of the day I was, but two weeks into my experiment, I had two girlfriends who started doing the same workout that I am doing and they reported back to me on their progress. I found that my overall cardio time vastly improved when I felt like I was competing with my friends.
And finally, depending on what kind of exercise you’re doing, I’ve learned that it helps to have good music on and to have it on loud. Having music play quietly in the background doesn’t get my energy pumping, but loud energetic music does; the louder the better.
Excuse # 3 I want instant results
            We live in a world where instant gratification is commonplace, so it can be frustrating when you start exercising to not see an immediate change in your overall appearance and because of this many people give up after a short amount of time.
            I realized straightaway that if I was going to stick it out I was going to have to focus my results on things other than my physical appearance. I made a list of issues that I’d been having that I hoped exercise would help with, including: back pain, low energy, stress, headaches and migraines, and insomnia. I kept a daily scale of each and was thrilled with the results.
I saw quick changes with my energy levels, stress, insomnia and headaches. I always feel more energized after each workout, my stress levels began to drop substantially, but the one that I was most pleased with was the decrease in my headaches. I went from having a headache every day to maybe one or two a week. One or two may seem like a lot to some people, but for someone who is used to having daily headaches this has been a miracle, and from this a good night’s rest also came more easily.
            After a couple of weeks my back pain had decreased by half and now, a month in is almost non-existent. Aside from these results I am also starting to see a physical change as well. If you can find something other than appearance to focus on it will help you to value exercise so much more than just what it can do for you on the surface.
            In the end, and most importantly, I learned not to beat myself up over a missed day or because I ate a cupcake. I was making a concerted effort to exercise and for someone who would rather be doing anything but, that’s fantastic. If you allow yourself to feel guilty you’ll never stick it out. While a lifestyle change will have to occur to be successful, that doesn’t mean you punish yourself either.
            So, to recap, make exercise a priority, find something you can do that you’ll love, get friends involved, pump the music up, don’t let your physical appearance be the only thing that determines your success, and don’t beat yourself up. From one couch potato to another I say, if I can do it, so can you.


No comments:

Post a Comment